Minimum Requirements for RLM Licensing
- An Internet connection to register your software license
- 64 bit processor
- Windows 10 or higher operating system
- MAC Sierra or higher
- Linux: Ubuntu/CentOS
- Administrative rights
- Sufficient free space on your hard disk (this varies by product but 500 MB will be sufficient)
- 2 open ports (the port numbers will be specified at time of purchase): one to allow access to the Reprise License Management Server and a secondary port for the VSNi License Management Server. If your organization has a network security policy / firewall you may see error messages during installation and will need to contact your IT department / network administrator. Refer to Ports and Network Security further down this page.
For this licensing you must always be connected to the Internet unless you are using the software in offline mode – see Set up requirements for licensing further down this page.
VSNi New License System
Please be aware the VSNi licensing system has changed. We suggest you read the following paragraphs in detail.
VSNi has migrated to a new license system underpinned by Reprise technology This system is widely used by software vendors and will allow for much more robust license management. This is an easy-to-use, cloud-based solution for hosting license servers. It allows us to deliver and manage your license entitlements via the cloud without installing license server software on your systems. This will make both accessing, amending and renewing a license a much easier process.
About the license
A license is an entitlement in the cloud, similar to networked / floating licenses, but off premise. Cloud licenses require Internet access at all times. There is an offline mode allowing users to go “offline” for up to 30 days. Any number of users within an organization can access these licenses on any machine – the only limitation will be the number of concurrent runs purchased by the organization.
As licenses can be used on any machine, we will no longer supply additional licenses for home and laptop use.
Set up requirements for VSNi licensing*
- You must be connected to the Internet to activate, access and use the license. Licenses have an “offline” feature; users will need to be connected to the Internet to activate the offline feature and to return the offline license to the license pool. You can take a license offline for a maximum of 30 days.
- Your firewall needs to be configured to let license server entitlements through. RLM (Reprise License Manager) uses 2 ports to communicate – you will be given designated port numbers at the time of purchase.
Activating your entitlement.
Customers will be given a unique activation code upon payment. After downloading the software you will be prompted to enter your activation code during the installation process. Detailed installation instructions will be provided with your software purchase documentation.
How it works
Organizations can purchase any number of licenses which will be for sole use within that organization for the agreed rental period. License entitlements will be accessed and monitored via the cloud (RLM server).
The license will function with any new version / editions released within the purchase period. The rental period will run from purchase date – NOT on activation.
Customers are not required to install an onsite license server – they must however connect to RLM cloud via the internet.
VSNi has strict licensing agreements that each user needs to read and agree to before purchasing and using the software. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and user to adhere to the terms and conditions in the policies. No customer data will be held in the cloud.
Ports and Network Security
A port is essentially an incoming or outgoing communication channel – a location where information is sent.
For example, port 80 is the http network port. A listing of commonly known and used ports can also be found on wiki. Microsoft Windows can utilize the netstat command to view currently active connections that include ports being used.
Ports can be blocked using a firewall. If you are unable to get access to a particular port, a firewall or other network security measures may have been put in place. If your organization has a network security policy then please contact your IT department / network administrator (see Notes for Network Administrator below).
*Network Security: Proxy, Firewall and connection issues
IT Security measures can sometimes block connections when trying to activate a license. Should there be a problem when activating, you will be automatically directed to a webpage that authorises your entitlement. Once authorised a new activation code will be provided that will circumvent any blocked connections that can be dealt with without systems intervention.
Notes for Network Administrator
To enable the activation of a license you will need to allow outgoing and incoming traffic on 2 ports. These will be the ports listed in the email that contains the license activation code.
Depending on your network and if you have IP white / black listing in place, you may have to add an exception rule for rlmcloud.com and its subdomains: (i.e *.rlmcloud.com)
For further information please contact support.